I’ve spent some time testing the app “Guard My Angel.” I spent some extra time testing this app to ascertain its usefulness. Let us take a look at the app. First, it was designed to be a way for the user to set up a layer of protection for themselves using their android phone. The app’s intent is for the user to set up a countdown timer, which will alert the emergency contacts in case the user exceeds the timer or presses an SOS button. The timer can be set from 15 minutes to six (6) hours. The buttons are oversized and different colors, which is perfect for tapping on the fly.
The dev has several great ideas about uses, including “walking alone in a dark alley”: or “driving home while tired.” It is very easy to set up and manage. When setting up the emergency contacts, the app automatically asks the user to use one telephone number for each contact. Let us be adults, you are not going to send an SMS to a landline. The user can also send an alert to the emergency contacts email address as well.
All alerts have a url link which takes the emergency contact to Google Maps with a pin marking the last known location of the user. And for those who use social networks, you can even post to Facebook. The app works as advertised and I did not notice a large battery drain, the app as installed on my Rooted HTC EVO 3D on a stock ROM.
While running the app, I noticed several things and the following is my personal opinion and does not reflect the ideas, thoughts, or opinions of ACS. The app did not have a dedicated “Exit” or “Quit” button. Would be nice to see, maybe a future update? When the app was counting down at five (5) minutes the phone alerted me via a vibration, however when time ran out there was no audible or vibration alert.
At first I was a bit disappointed, but after giving it some thought, if you were abducted would you want to bring attention to your phone? Lastly, maybe the option to integrate with Google Maps so there are less apps to launch. If you are looking for an app to provide you, or a loved one, piece of mind then look no further than “Guard My Angel.” After all, can’t argue with a free ‘Guard My Angel’ watching over you without compromising your privacy.
Whether you are getting in a cab, walking alone in a dark alley, driving home while tired, or anytime you feel you need someone at your side – ‘Guard My Angel’ will watch over you and only in the case of an emergency will it notify your family and friends via Email, SMS or Facebook, with the information they need to help you. This information includes a link to a Google map with location information of your whereabouts from the point you activated the service.
‘Guard My Angel’
identifies an ‘emergency situation’ by using manual and automatic triggers:
– The user can set in advance the duration of time he’d like the service to watch over him. Notification will be sent automatically if the timer expires before acknowledging that he is OK.
– SOS button.
– Few more auto triggers in the near future.
– Anonymous: No registration required to work with the service.
– Globally enabled: The service enabled around the globe with complimentary International SMS support.
– Reliable: All notifications are sent from our secured servers, and will be sent even if the phone was damaged or taken from you.
– Low battery consumption: We monitor the location periodically for minimal battery consumption.
– Works indoors and outdoors: It is highly recommended to enable both GPS and Network location providers for proper functionality indoors and outdoors.
– Detailed emergency information: The notified contacts will receive indication that you may need help with a link to a map. The link can be opened by any device that is capable of showing ’Google Maps’ . The map is updated periodically with any new information received from the mobile device.
– Privacy: We do not disclose your location information unless you reach a potential emergency situation. We delete all records of the location information from our servers after 24 hours. We may gather statistical and anonymous information in the future – but we are committed to delete all trip records form our server periodically (after 24 hours).
– FREE: We encourage you all to use the service for free on a regular basis
ACS Writer: PsyChoTk
Sources info: Android Market
Let ACS know what you think, leave Comments Below.
In Android Creative Syndicate’s efforts to provide you, the reader with full and correct information in a timely ma<
In Android Creative Syndicate’s effort to provide you with full and correct information in a timely manner, there is always a possibility of admitting a mistake. If you see anything incorrect or incomplete please notify us in the comment section so it may be rectified. Some content, including images and text used in this post are used for demonstration and informational purposes and may be copyrighted. All images, ®, and ™ are copyright their respective owners. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.